Reports are rife that Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is being lobbied to join the much-talked-about 2023 presidential election. If for any reason the former Nigerian president bows to the mounting pressure, one among some serving Nigerian governors stands a chance to emerge as his running mate.
At least five of these governors, all from the northern region, are bigwigs of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and have their names ringing with presidential ambition among other Nigerian politicians who are eyeing the seat of power come 2023.
Below is a list of these governors:
1. Governor Nasir El-Rufai The Kaduna state governor, no doubt, enjoys the friendship of President Muhammadu Buhari and wields enormous powers both in the region and in the ruling party.
2. Governor Yahaya Bello Described by a number of political analysts as one of the president’s proteges, the Kogi governor basks in the glory of being urged by many young Nigerians to go ahead and declare his interest in the forthcoming contest.
3. Governor Babagana Zulum Zulum’s laudable efforts to contain the activities of insurgents in the northeast state of Borno have given him away as a worthy leader who may not need much campaign if he decides to run for the presidency.
4. Governor Abdullahi Ganduje Unruffled by the bribery allegation in the run-up to the 2019 gubernatorial election in Kano, Governor Ganduje is regarded as one of the powerful allies of Aso Rock power brokers and as such, will not have a hard time getting to the presidency with a well-planned and executed groundwork.
5. Governor Bello Masari What and who can stand in the way of President Buhari’s own kinsman who holds sway in Katsina state if he agrees to join other contestants in the battle for power?
Governor Masari is currently the chairman of the northwest region and is among top politicians from the geopolitical zone who are in the president’s good books.
Watch Leakblast TV channel from around the world
Call Us: +234(0)8080859239
Get us on Whatsapp: +234(0)8181166425
SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY
Good journalism costs a lot of money.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.
By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.