The authorities in Zimbabwe have again cut off internet services, four days after the start of anti-government protests that have seen at least five people killed and dozens seriously injured.
The country’s largest mobile operator – Econet – said it’s been ordered to shut services until further notice, though the order is being challenged in court.
Critics say a similar blackout earlier in the week was aimed at blocking images of the Zimbabwean security forces’ heavy-handed actions against demonstrators.
A doctors’ association said its members have treated more than 170 people since Monday –some with gunshot wounds, some with dog bites.
On Thursday, the European Union (EU) condemned Zimbabwe’s security forces for what it called their “disproportionate force” against demonstrators.
Thanks for reading via the most updated news website
SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY
Good journalism costs a lot of money.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.
By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.