Nigeria’s sprint queen, Blessing Okagbare-Ighoteguonor Over the years, has honored herself as a worthy sports woman who has brought not only praise but also greatness to Nigeria.
But sadly, she been “provisionally” suspended for doping at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics.
With the suspension, Okagbare will no longer be able to compete at the competition.
The Athletics Integrity Unit made this known in a press statement on Saturday, saying that the 32-year-old Nigerian athlete tested positive for a banned substance – human growth hormone.
The body said Okagbare tested positive for the prohibited substance in an out-of-competition test on July 19 – four days before the Olympics opened.
Here are few things to know about her:
1. Blessing Okagbare was born on October 9, 1988 in Delta State.
2. She played football as a teenager at her high school and later, in 2004, she took interest in track and field games.
3. On the senior national stage, she was a triple jump bronze medalist at the 2004 Nigerian National Sports Festival.
4. Her first international outing came at the 2006 World Junior Championships in Athletics, where she performed in the qualifying rounds of both the long and triple jump competitions.
5. In May 2007, at the All-Africa Games trials in Lagos, she established a Nigerian record of 14.13 metres in the triple jump.
SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY
Good journalism costs a lot of money.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.
By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.