Death toll in DR Congo violence rises to over 30

0
33

At least 31 people including children are now known to have been killed in the last one week during renewed fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

The UN says intense clashes between the Congolese army and several rebel groups have spread to the Beni territory where five bodies were recovered on Wednesday.

Locals say the death toll might be even higher as dozens of people are still missing.

More than 700,000 people have fled their homes in Ituri and North Kivu provinces since the beginning of this year.

READ ALSO: DR Congo Detain Over New Car-Exhaust Drug 

This brings to six million the total number of people displaced by armed conflict in DR Congo, which the UN says is among the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.

The Congolese army is battling dozens or armed rebel groups in the east.

Many of them had been dormant since the end of the country’s civil war in 2003 but have recently re-emerged and taken over.

Watch Leakblast TV channel from around the world

SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY

Good  journalism costs a lot of money.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.

By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Support LeakBlast

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here