At least five people were killed and 19 injured when a strong earthquake shook southern Iran early Saturday, the state news agency, the Islamic Republic News Agency, reported.
The 6.0 magnitude quake hit 100 kilometres (60 miles) South-West of the port city of Bandar Abbas in Hormozgan province, the United States Geological Survey said. The quake struck just a minute after a 5.7 tremor.
Hormozgan governor Mahdi Dosti said the quakes killed five people and injured 19 others, IRNA reported.
Dosti said most of the damage occurred in the village of Sayeh Khost, close to the epicentre.
One person was killed in November last year when Hormozgan province was hit by twin 6.4 and 6.3 magnitude quakes.
Situated on the edge of several tectonic plates and crossing various fault lines, Iran is an area of strong seismic activity.
Iran’s deadliest quake was a 7.4-magnitude tremor that struck in 1990, killing 40,000 people in the north of the country.
SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY
Good journalism costs a lot of money.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.
By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.