Following the attack that took place in Owerri, Imo state on the early hours on Monday, the Acting Controller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Mr John Mrabure, has ordered a comprehensive investigation to unearth the incidence.
The attackers, who stormed the facility at about 02:15hrs on Monday 5th April, 2021, gained entrance into the premises by using explosives to blast the administrative block.
They were said to have arrived the centre in their large number in several Hilux Pick-Up vans and Sienna buses armed with sophisticated weapons and immediately engaged the security personnel on duty in a fierce gun battle.
The invaders eventually detonated explosives to gain entrance.
Mrabure said that the assignment, which would be carried out in collaboration with other security organisations, has commenced with a Search and Recover Operations to recapture the fleeing inmates.
Mrabure appealed to the good citizens of Imo and indeed Nigerians to volunteer useful information that would facilitate the recapture of the fleeing inmates.
He, however, assured the people that the security of custodial centres across the country remained sacrosanct.
He equally directed all officers attached to custodial facilities to remain vigilant at this trying period of the NCoS.
“As at the last count, six inmates have so far voluntarily returned to the facility while 35 inmates refused to escape from custody during the attack, ” he said.
Watch Leakblast TVchannel from around the world
Get us on Whatsapp: +234(0)8181166425
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUPPORT LEAKBLAST JOURNALISM OF INTEGRITY AND CREDIBILITY
Good journalism costs a lot of money.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble Endeavor.
By contributing to LeakBlast, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.